Sunday, March 24, 2013

IN MY OWN WORDS..........: Mandatory Reading


Mandatory Reading

Some books that I have read have touched me in a way that I  feel everybody should have the same opportunity to have the same warm, wonderful, sweet, happy, sentimental, or whatever deep down gut feeling I've experienced from reading that particular book.  I want EVERYBODY to read it!  I think that EVERYBODY will receive the same benefit that I received from the book that I received, which, of course is absurd.

One book in particular that I just have finished reading tops my list of "mandatory" reading, however.  "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom had me mesmerized from the very start.  This story of the ten Boom family who helped hide Jews during World War II in their  home in Holland is an unbelievable account of their courage and love of Jesus.  Corrie describes her time as a prisoner of the German army and the agonizing months she and her sister Betsy spent waiting for release but at the same time giving hope and encouragement to others with whatever they could.  I think this is the only book I can say I truly wanted to start over and read again because of the feeling I had when it was over.  What a woman Corrie was!  Her sister Betsy died in prison but Corrie carried on with their dreams after being released (by accident).

I can't describe the feeling I had when I finished this book.  I guess if I had to put it into words, humble or unworthy, would come to mind.  Certainly the life that I have lived and known has been grand in comparison to what this powerful woman lived through and I feel ashamed for ever complaining over "my lot" in life.
That's why I think reading and re-reading this book should be mandatory.  It gives me and anyone else who reads it an "attitude adjustment" and an opportunity to reflect on what's really important in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment