Tuesday, May 29, 2018

DADDY'S BABY GIRL

Growing up, I was known as “Daddy’s baby.”  My father made no bones about it.  I was his “baby” until the day he died.  He was my go-to person as is usually the case with little girls and their daddy.  Don’t get me wrong, my Momma was everything a Momma is supposed to be, and more.  But, you know.  It’s a “woman thing” with Mommas and little girls.  Sometimes, they just flat out don’t like each other.  Especially when it comes to prissy clothes, hairdo’s, makeup, and being perfect.  I wasn’t into any of those things like she wanted me to be.  I marched to my own drum being slouchy, tacky, stringy headed, etc.  But Daddy was my hero.  Only once did he ever punish me with a spanking after I jumped up and grabbed a sturdy looking limb on the small pecan tree which was just perfect to swing on, between our house and Big Momma’s.  Although I’d been warned about it, I just couldn’t resist.  The limb cracked and broke smack off the tree trunk.  Uncle Aubrey wasn’t pleased.  Neither was Daddy.

Daddy and I connected.  He didn’t scold me.  He didn’t judge me.  He loved me unconditionally and I knew it.  Through the years, he and I would take road trips together to visit Aunt Mattie Mae in Wrightsville every time they had a family reunion or homecoming, at the little country church near her house. We’d have “dinner on the ground” with fried chicken, potato salad, cakes, pies, and of course home cooked fresh vegetables and jugs of tea.  Sweet, of course.  There was no such thing as unsweetened tea when I grew up.

About once a month, we’d travel to Atlanta to visit Granny Elkins who had moved there after Granddaddy passed away.  Daddy loved his Mother and made a point to visit her as often as possible.  Momma seldom went with us.  Just Daddy and me.  I looked forward to that time with him.  He stopped in Eatonton once and showed me the Uncle Remus House and we talked about Brer Rabbit and the briar patch stories.  We walked around the square and found a café to have lunch.

Most every time, we would have lunch upstairs in Ding Ho’s restaurant in downtown Atlanta. It was Daddy’s favorite Chinese place and I felt so grown up as we dined in the dark atmosphere and oriental décor with white tablecloths and napkins.  I remember how I loved the Blue Willow plates!  The bowls would be brought to the table full of rice and our favorite dish, Chop Suey. And the silver teapots with steaming tea was quite a novelty for a country girl.  But Daddy knew just how to fit in.  He ordered like it was an everyday occasion to dine there with his “baby” girl. The trip home wouldn’t be complete without stopping in Jackson for some of the delicious barbeque and Brunswick Stew.   I treasured those special outings with my Daddy.

Daddy loved to tease me about my sweetheart when I was a little girl.  Yes, that sweetheart was the one who became my husband of 60 years.  But the truth was, that Daddy didn’t want to lose his “baby girl.”  Many years later, he wrote the sweetest poem which is part of a large collection of treasured poems of his, Granny Elkins, Momma, and even my own.  I guess we were just all able to express our thoughts better in writing than in person.  Especially Daddy.  He was a man of few words, but some of his writings were hauntingly beautiful.  He didn’t talk about himself much and they gave insight into a man most people didn’t know.  


My Little Baby Girl
By Herbert Elkins

Quite a long time ago, back in ‘38
Something wonderful was about to happen
And I could hardly wait.

Then an angel came down from another world,
And brought to our home a precious little baby girl.

I strutted around and bragged with joy.
To tell the truth, I was glad it wasn’t a boy.

I remember the cute things she would do and say,
Winding herself around your heart, growing tighter every day.

But all too soon time flew by,
Then one day I noticed a twinkle in her eye.

“Not my Baby!” I said, “Good heavens above”
When she said, “Daddy, I need your blessings –
I’m deeply in love!”

“Leave our home?  Get married?  Change your name?
True, you never caused us any worry or brought us any shame.
But if you’re really in love and your lover is true, go with my blessings my Baby, and good luck to you!”

It must have been right for there is happiness in her home. 
She has a wonderful little family and little babies of her own.
I hope you’ll always be happy and have the best things in the world.
But don’t forget, your Daddy loves his little baby girl!
…………………………………

The Daddy I knew and loved is the only one I remember.  Time and events have a way of changing us as we grow older and the Daddy I remember became a different person later in his life.  His life ended too soon.  I can only hope that he made peace with himself before his death. 




No comments:

Post a Comment