Friday, March 10, 2017

MORAVIAN STAR AND BROKEN PINKIES


Losing your eyesight and ultimately your independence, is a terrible thing at any age.  It forces you to take a hard look at your circumstances and make some hard choices for your future.  And it’s especially hard when you live alone with no family close by.

My sweet little Momma had made a new life for herself when she left the hometown where she grew up, married, and raised me and my brother.  She had become accustomed to having lots of people her age around her that loved her, had become active in the church, volunteering at the nursing home, visiting her friends, shopping, and her favorite, going out to eat with her friends.  She had been diagnosed with macular degeneration earlier in the year, but I don’t think any of us realized the extent of the disease.  When she didn’t see a stop sign, crossed through the intersection and drove into someone’s front yard, it was time.  Change was imminent. 

Teresa had driven Mom to Virginia for a visit so she knew we had the perfect situation for her to live with us having her own bedroom, bath, and the “run” of the house downstairs.    She also knew it meant she would have to give up her “ride.”  Now, Momma wasn’t one to stay home if she could drive.  She’d get in her car, put that Grenada in drive, and whiz downtown or wherever she wanted to go, for that matter.  She nabbed a couple of concrete pillars at Covington Square when she could see good.  She earned her nickname,  “Fireball Roberts.”  (Only old racing fans will appreciate that one)   

And so it was, that my brother, daughter, me and Sol, packed every little piece of newspaper clipping, sermons on cassette tape, several hymnals, old sheet music, trinkets, art supplies, and a recent gift of a beautiful glass Moravian Star.   Oh, and her shrouded in a plastic bag, completely decorated Christmas tree with the handmade ornaments from the “home” residents where she lived.  We loaded up a U-Haul van and off we went to her new home in Blackstone.  The Moravian Star went missing during the move.  Mom pilfered through boxes for years looking for it.
Momma was thrilled to be able to live with us.  She decided that her job was going to be that of chief cook and bottle washer.  She didn’t know I knew it, but she did this because she ate her main meal at noon.  We had always eaten ours at night.  So, if she cooked, she had some assurance that she would be fed on time.  That worked out well for her and made her feel good that she could contribute to the household.   I loved it.  I could spend my mornings in the yard, planting and replanting, going to club meetings, playing bridge, or whatever, and Sollie could come home at lunch since he was just two miles away, straight shot.

Now Mom was about the most resilient 80-year-old I have ever seen.  She could fall, roll over on her all fours, and walk her way back up to a standing position really good.  It’s amazing that in all her life, she only broke two bones.  One day, as I’m hoeing in the tansy (which I hated ‘because it had an awful smell), sweat dripping from me like a faucet, and I look up to see Mom coming down the walkway towards me.   She yelled that dinner was ready, and promptly toppled over on the walkway.  I see her when she stumbles, throw down my hoe, and start running through the tansy patch towards her hoping to catch her, but instead stumbled on my own big feet and did a number plowing through that black dirt.  The fall wasn’t pretty.  I rooted up the dirt with my face and snout looking like a hog in a pen.   So, there we were, both of us sprawled out in the yard, stunned.  I yelled for her to stay put until I could get up and then slowly crawled and scratched my way over to her.

After we laughed a few minutes, we decided we better see if we could get up.  She was the first up and she helped me.  Now, we’re both looking all over ourselves to see if we were ok, and decided that the only thing that hurt was our little pinkie fingers.  I called Sollie who came in two minutes and took us to the local clinic where they x-rayed our hands.  Yep.  We both broke the same finger on the same hand.   We sported our splints on our pinkies for several weeks.  My pinkie is still crooked to this day!  Hers was straight.  We made the local newspaper the next week, after young Billy came over and took our picture, sitting in the porch swing holding up our left hands, for his Dad’s paper.   Young Billy is now the Mayor of the town, and Editor of the paper.  His Dad and Mom were great friends of ours.  She and I did a great “fall” together while practicing on the set of a Rotary Musical production a few years later.  I ‘bout broke my leg trying to break the fall for her!  Ah, what precious memories…. But, more changes are on the horizon.