Thursday, April 11, 2013

Bullying - Death Too Soon


Today I read a story that broke my heart.  It concerned the death of a beautiful 15 year old girl who had tragically taken her life because of the senseless bullying she had been subjected to from her peers on Facebook.  This young girl had been photographed while being gang raped at a party with her “friends” who then mocked and exploited her on the social network.  After months of depression, she hung herself.  I cannot imagine what sorrow the parents of this young girl must feel.  Anyone of us could say, but for the grace of God, there go I. 

If I had to guess, I’d bet that the young people who are involved in the bullying and mocking and resulting death of this teenage girl will live the rest of their lives wishing they had done things differently.  They will wonder how they could have been so foolish and cruel as to cause a classmate to be so lonely and depressed that she would give up her life.  I wouldn’t want to walk in their shoes. 

We are all guilty of things that we wish we had not said or done.  Some things we can apologize for, some we can fix, repair, or correct.  Some are irreversible and our lives are changed forever.  I’m reminded of something my daughter recently told her children that I had taught her and her brothers.  Everything we do has a good consequence or a bad consequence.  We have to always be ready to accept the consequence of our actions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment